Welcome to Open Studio!
Before you begin using the Open Studio site, the educational courses, courseware and its related forums (together, the “Service”), you must read and agree to these Terms of Service.
We may occasionally have to revise the Terms of Service, and we’ll try to let you know, but you can always see the updated version here.
Open Studio is an online education site and forum.
The Educational Courses and Courseware: The courses offered through Open Studio are designed to run for a set period of time with exclusive material. The Courses themselves will contain exclusive content not available to every user of the site, or every forum participant. This material will be available for your use and access for the duration of your membership to the site. All content created for forum users will also be available for course participants for the duration of your membership.
We might occasionally have down time. If we need to upgrade the site, we’ll make every effort to do it so it doesn’t inconvenience you, but from time to time, for maintenance and in the event of a server meltdown, you might find the site unavailable. We don’t plan on this being a problem, but we live in the real world, and our lawyers want to make sure you know that stuff happens beyond our control from time to time and we’ll work to make it right for you as soon as we humanly can.
We also expect you’ll keep your password secure. If it seems that someone else is using your password we reserve the right to suspend your account until we can get it all worked out with you. This is especially true for the course-related material, for which all members of the community may not have access.
We’ll try to keep everything you post appropriately posted, but if something is accidentally deleted, we’re sorry but that’s a risk we’re all going to have to live with. Anything you post, including files, is your responsibility, as is everything you download. We hope there won’t be any viruses or yucky things attached, but we can’t make any guarantees or take responsibility for whatever ends up on your computer. A little “Caveat emptor”- buyer beware – We can’t pay for your hard drive getting erased by someone else’s silly actions. Practice safe computing always. When you post stuff, we reserve the right to share it with the community. Our stuff on the site is protected by copyright as is yours. We won’t publish your stuff in a book without your permission and we want you to give us the same respect and courtesy, if that’s okay with you. That means no copying and selling the videos, audio, charts and materials from the site and forum- that wouldn’t be nice and we’d have to call our lawyer.
- Some membership plans are offered on an ongoing monthly basis, but can be cancelled at any time. There is no long term commitment beyond the current month.
- Payment for each month’s service is paid on a recurring basis in advance. As this is a premium subscription educational site with exclusive content, there are no refunds for partial months or pro-rated service.
- Your membership will be cancelled effective the date you notify us.
All references on this Site to a “Lifetime Membership” or “Lifetime Access” or “Lifetime Use” or “No Expiration” or “Never Expire” (the “Lifetime Membership Policy”) shall mean the lifetime or course or duration of Open Studio. If at any time Open Studio ceases to exist, the Lifetime Membership Policy will no longer be in effect.
Modifications to Service:
Open Studio reserves the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that Open Studio will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service. We have no obligation to retain any of Your Account or Submitted Content for any period of time beyond what may be required by applicable law.
Date of Last Revision: June 22, 2017
While we have not made any material changes to the way we process data about our users, we have updated this policy to make it shorter and easier to read, and to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation coming into force on May 25, 2018.
1. What Data We Get
We collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with Open Studio. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
- Account Data: In order to use certain features (like enrolling in a course), you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password, gender, and date of birth, and assign you a unique identifying number.
- Shared Content: Parts of the Services let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting comments, reviews, asking or answering questions, sending messages to students or instructors, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.
- Course Data: When you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which courses; your exchanges with instructors, staff, and other students; answers to questions, and other submitted items.
- Student Payment Data: If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, Open Studio does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by automated means, including:
- System Data: Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types.
Usage Data: Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services.
Approximate Geographic Data: An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies and Data Collection Tools” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
2. How We Get Data About You
We use tools like cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection.
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
Open Studio uses the following types of cookies:
- Preferences: cookies that remember data about your browser and preferred settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Services (like your preferred language).
- Security: cookies used to enable you to log in and access the Services; protect against fraudulent logins; and help detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional: cookies that store functional settings (like the volume level you set for video playback).
- Session State: cookies that track your interactions with the Services to help us improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login details, and enable processing of your course purchases. These are strictly necessary for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them then certain functionalities will break or be unavailable.
Some of the third-party partners who provide certain features on our site may also use Local Storage Objects (also known as flash cookies or LSOs) to collect and store data.
We use third-party browser and mobile analytics services like Google Analytics and Drip. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Services, including information like the third-party website you arrive from, how often you visit, events within the Services, usage and performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We use this data to improve the Services, better understand how the Services perform on different devices, and provide information that may be of interest to you.
2.3 Online Advertising
We use third-party advertising services like Facebook, Google’s ad services, and other ad networks and ad servers to deliver advertising about our Services on other websites.
3. What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features;
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information and in-app messages about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Manage your account preferences;
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
- Solicit feedback from users;
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by Open Studio;
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers;
- Identify unique users across devices;
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
- Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data;
- Advertise the Services on third-party websites and applications;
- As required or permitted by law; or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
4. Who We Share Your Data With
We share certain data about you with other students, companies performing services for us, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, data analysis, marketing and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Business Partners: We have agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our Services and drive traffic to Open Studio.
- With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1), or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
- To Administer Promotions and Surveys: We may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
- For Security and Legal Compliance: We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law;
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid request;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of Open Studio, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
- During a Change in Control: If Open Studio undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification: We can disclose or use aggregate or de-identified data for any purpose.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
Open Studio takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and Open Studio, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns.
6. Your Rights
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Parents who believe we’ve unintentionally collected personal data about their underage child should contact us for help deleting that information.
6.1 Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
- To opt out of Google’s display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at email@example.com
6.2 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that Open Studio collects and maintains as follows:
- To update data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account, contact Customer Service through our website, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, email support@openstudionetwork or write to us at Open Studio, LLC., Attn: Privacy/Legal Team, 3547 Olive St, St. Louis, MO 63103. Please allow up to 30 days for a response. For your protection, we may require that the request be sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
6.3 Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Children under 13 (or under 16 in the European Economic Area) should not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that Open Studio may have collected personal data from a child under those ages can submit a request that it be removed to support@openstudionetwork.
7. Updates & Contact Info
When we make a material change to this policy, we’ll notify users via email, in-product notice, or another mechanism required by law. Changes become effective the day they’re posted. Please contact us via email or postal mail with any questions, concerns, or disputes.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser as you browse the internet. They can be used to collect, store, and share data about your activities across websites, including on Open Studio. Cookies also allow us to remember things about your visits to Open Studio, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a set period of time. We use session cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, like when you log into Open Studio. We use persistent cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period, like when you request that we keep you signed in.
- Authentication and Security:
- To log you into Open Studio,
- To protect your security,
- To help detect and fight spam, abuse, and other activities that violate Open Studio’s agreements
- authenticate your access to Open Studio and prevent unauthorized parties from accessing your accounts.
- To remember data about your browser and your preferences
- To remember your settings and other choices you’ve made
- Analytics and Research
- To help us improve and understand how people use Open Studio.
- You can opt out of some of these services through tools like the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
- Personalized Content
- To Customize Open Studio with more relevant content.
- To provide you with more relevant advertising.
To learn more about targeting and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, visit www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site.
Please note that where advertising technology is integrated into the Services, you may still receive advertising on other websites and applications, but it will not be tailored to your interests.
What are my privacy options?
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can change your browser settings to decline cookies by consulting your browser’s support articles. If you decide to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some interactive features in the Services.
- Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, so your browser’s cookie-management tools may not remove them. To learn more about how to manage Flash cookies, see Adobe’s article on managing flash cookies and Website Storage Settings panel.
- To get information and control cookies used for tailored advertising from participating companies, see the consumer opt-out pages for the Network Advertising Initiative and Digital Advertising Alliance, or if you’re located in the European Union, visit the Your Online Choices site. To opt out of Google Analytics’ display advertising or customize Google Display Network ads, visit the Google Ads Settings page.
- For general information about targeting cookies and how to disable them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Updates & Contact Info
Date of Last Revision: May 23, 2018